Welcome!

Welcome to our Blog! We are excited to have a place to share all the amazing things that are happening in our lives right now. Please keep in touch with us often!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In the Kitchen




One of my favorite moments was helping the two women who worked in the kitchen get lunch ready for the kids. Margaret and Benta were what we would consider to be lunch ladies. Each day they started at about 8 am and washed all the dishes for the kids and set them out to dry. At the same time, they started cooking three large iron pots of beans and corn for lunch. The three pots sat on top of three seperate fire pits. They didnt have logs like we would use, but only sticks or some larger branches. We would grab a bundle of branches and feed them into the fire, constantly adding more as they burned up. It was so hot and smokey in that room, some of our girls couldn't stand to be in there. I kept going in to help Benta feed the fire and stir the food. I helped her add salt too. When the food was ready at about noon, we gave each child 2 scoops in their dish. I had such a good time scooping out food for the kids. I was able to get to know Benta as we worked together in the kitchen. Benta's husband had passed away, but she had 6 children, 3 of which had died. The three remaining children were all grown. She taught me how to say "my friend" in her language and would greet me each day as I came to help her cook. At the farewell ceremony, I got to dance with Benta and she gave me a beautiful orange and white basket she had made as a gift. Benta is only one of the many good friends I made and won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment